Sunday Supper
Want a fancy schmancy yet EASY way to pull off "Sunday Supper?" Here's the run down for what I have planned, and it couldn't be anymore "hands off:"
Garlic-Citrus "Roast" Chicken
Roasted Green Beans with Shallots
Fresh rolls
Yeah, don't get all "you are such a Martha" on me. I swear this is going to be super easy. See that I put "roast" in quotes? Yeah, hello CROCKPOT! Got this from Rob's Nana (now, Granny B for Gavin) and have done this several times, just change up what I do the bird.
Take a stick of softened butter and add the zest of 1 lemon, 1 orange and some garlic powder (I'm thinking a 1/4 tsp but I'll let you know for sure later if that was enough). Mash it all together and set aside to let the flavors blend (do this the day before if you like too). Take the bird and remove all the random stuff from the cavity that stores like to put in there thinking you may want to eat it. Ew, no but that's just me. Season the cavity with salt and pepper. Quarter the lemon and orange you zested and squeeze some of the juice inside and then stuff in the pieces. Cut a head of garlic in half (peels and all) and stuff inside. Now, on the outside of this chicken, loosen up the skin from the meat and stuff your compound butter inside. As it cooks and the flavored butter melts this does DELICIOUS things to the meat and presumably the skin too but I don't eat that. Season the outside with salt and pepper.
Prep your crockpot by balling up about 5 or so pieces of tin foil and set them in the bottom. They don't need to be tightly balled up, think like how you would ball up some paper. You're creating a platform for the bird to sit on and let the drippings fall down through. Set the chicken on the foil and turn on to Low for maybe 4-5 hours (or less if your pot is as crazy as mine).
Ok now the green beans. Fresh beans were on sale and I have shallots left over from something else I did (can't remember what). Rinse beans and trim off ends. Slice shallots. Scatter everything on a cookie sheet and coat in olive oil, salt and pepper. Toss around a bit. Throw into 400 degree oven for about 20 minutes. Voila. Fancyness.
Fresh rolls... from your freezer! Follow the directions on the package. ;)
I bet my actual hands on kitchen time totals 30 minutes for this.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home