Saturday, January 24, 2009

18 Month Update

So after much drama, tantrums and profuse apologies from the doctor, Gavin was in for his 18 month check yesterday. I had made his appointment a month ago to be next Wednesday however Tuesday night (technically after the clinic had closed) they called to say they needed to reschedule his appointment. Seeing as how I was trying to relax in my bedroom to speed up cold recovery (wasn't working) and barely missed the call, I unfortunately could not immediately unleash my wrath. This was the third checkup in a row I was being forced to reschedule. I rescheduled his 12 month check, unfortunately before his b-day because no one told me they couldn't give him the vaccines until he was literally a year old (Rob had to take him back later for the shots. Had we been able to keep the original appoint this would not have happened). They rescheduled his 15 month check too.

So by now I was completely frustrated, not just because I had to find a new date and time to take him but my circumstances had changed too. Before, we were able to take him in on Fridays (which he's home on Fridays) and everything was hunky dory. At some point though the scheduling people told me she doesn't do well-baby checks on Fridays anymore. Okaaaay, so maybe I can get him in super early on another weekday? Nope! Can't schedule an appointment before 9 (I think Gavin's 4-week check I had him in at 7:30 a.m. so I don't know what changed). Basically this means, with my part-time status and limited availability to make up missed hours, I have to take vacation or sick time to take my son in for a check-up. Yeah, not a happy camper.

On Wednesday I left 2 quite sassy voicemails with the doctor's assistant, demanding an explanation and also making it clear that I'd find a new doctor if need be because I just cannot do this anymore. Love her, she's fabulous but come on. This is ridiculous. The doctor called me back Wednesday night (I missed the call of course) but she called again first thing Thursday morning and we had quite the chat. Seems that her schedule really doesn't change all that often and I am somehow the "lucky" person who by complete random chance picked the last 3 dates she needed to readjust. She was quite horrified and very apologetic. I explained my own schedule issues about Fridays and early mornings and come to find out, the doctor didn't realize the scheduling people told me she didn't do Friday checkups (she happened to have 2 scheduled the next day). Oh really?? Even though I had rescheduled for next Friday (1/30) with her physician's assistant, the doctor insisted that I come in the following morning (yesterday) if our schedule allowed.

Gavin's a healthy 29 lbs, 34" and doing beautifully. Motor skills rock and speech is progessing nicely (see previous post giving an example of a "conversation" with my toddler). I left quite happy (well, had to let the vampires have at me but I was planning on that anyway; what else can one do with their own health issues?). I am also well-informed enough that the next time a scheduler tells me "no Fridays" I'll have them take it up with the doctor because they are putting Gavin down for Friday. I refuse to be pushed around anymore when it comes to the health and well-being of my son.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

1 round of applesauce

I mean applause...

6:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home