Saturday, February 27, 2010

Pancakes + Gobs of Cinnamon = Oh, Glory

I get up this morning, I have my quiet time despite Gavin's brief call for me to open his door (no way Jose kiddo. This is MY time!).

It's Saturday morning, the weekend. I want to make pancakes but I'm bored with my recipes. Can't do Rob's fav, buttermilk, because I don't have the key ingredient. I could do whole wheat. They're really good but....meh. I'm bored.

Oh well. Whole wheat it is because nothing else sounds as good. I go onto my AllRecipes account to find the recipe and, right there on the home page, is this oh-so-intriguing recipe for Cinnamon Griddle Cakes. Cinnamon?? Oooo! I'm the girl who, in trying to make pancake mixes taste more homemade would add cinnamon and nutmeg to the batter. So a from-scratch recipe for pancakes where one of my favorite spices is the star ingredient?? OK!! :D

If you want to try the original recipe, click here. Recipe below has my subtle tweaks. ;)


1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3 tbsp granulated sugar
1/2 tsp salt
4 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp cinnamon (nope, that's not a typo. A whole tablespoon. Just go with it; trust me)
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup milk, plus 1 tbsp
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 tbsp vanilla
1 tbsp honey

Sift together flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and cinnamon. Set aside.
In another bowl, beat together the eggs, milk, butter, vanilla and honey. Stir in the flour mixture.
Heat greased griddle (about 350 if you're using electric griddle). Use a 1/4 cup measuring cup to ladle batter onto griddle. And yeah, you know how to take it from here, right?

Oh. My. GOSH. Yeah, good. They smell like heaven and taste like glory. YUM!!! I saw a comment on AllRecipes about adding raisins to the batter. I'm thinking maybe some chopped up apple. Apple-Cinnamon pancakes?? *drooooooooooooool*

So as we're sitting around the table inhaling the cakes, I glance outside expecting to see the sun since yesterday was such a bright, shiny day. But alas, it's a typical Winter in Wisconsin day: gray and cold. But you know what? I don't care! These pancakes have not just filled my tummy but left me with all the warm/fuzzy feelings that a healthy dose of cinnamon can leave you with. *sigh* :)

You have got to try these. And if you're a sugar/sweetness junkie, try out the original recipe with the frosting. I have a feeling you won't be disappointed!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home