Saturday, April 17, 2010

You know that typical frozen pizza-thing snack?

Pizza rolls, pizza puffs, pizza something... I don't know. Anyway I've never been too intrigued by them, certainly not enough to buy them anyway. And then I get one of my foodie magazines and notice this Pepperoni Pizza Puffs recipe. Check out the ingredients and looks easy and simple enough. Why not? This could be a fun thing for Gavin to eat too! So I make them last night (with some minor adjustments of course!) and oh my goodness are they good!!! You know what the best part is though? I can make them ahead, freeze them, and reheat in the oven when I'm ready to eat. WAHOO!!! That's what I'm talking about. :D For the original recipe click here. Otherwise my slightly altered version is below:

Ingredients:

  • 3/4 cup flour
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 3/4 cup milk, whatever you keep on hand
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 2-ish ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded (about 1/2 cup)
  • 2-ish ounces cheddar cheese, shredded (about 1/2 cup)
  • 3-4 ounces turkey pepperoni, cut into small cubes (about 1 cup)
  • 1/2 teaspoon pizza seasoning
  • 1/2 cup store-bought pizza sauce
  • 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil, optional
  • 1 red bell pepper, sliced, optional

Frozen Assets
Freeze the baked puffs in a single layer on a baking sheet, then transfer to a freezer bag. To reheat, bake the frozen puffs on a baking sheet in a 350° oven for 8 to 10 minutes.

Directions:

  1. Preheat the oven to 375°. Grease a 24-cup mini-muffin pan. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour and baking powder; whisk in the milk and egg. Stir in the cheeses, pizza seasoning, and pepperoni; let stand for 10 minutes.

  2. Stir the batter and divide among the mini-muffin cups. Bake until puffed and golden, 20 to 25 minutes.

  3. Meanwhile, microwave the pizza sauce until warmed through, then stir in 1 tablespoon basil. Sprinkle the puffs with the remaining 1 tablespoon basil. Serve the puffs and red pepper slices with the pizza sauce for dipping.

Oh, and another thin you could do? Play up the filling! Got a vegetarian coming to dinner? Make a batch with just red pepper or spinach in it instead of pepperoni. Just be careful you don't go overboard with it though. These are BITES so you really do need to have more flour than filling. ;) Try them! I don't think you'll be disappointed. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home