Thursday, January 08, 2009

I am humbled

In my line of work, much as I love people they can also drive me batty. A constant source of amusement is how some people are supposedly in their 30s, 40s or 50s yet display behavior I expect to see in a kindergarten classroom. But I digress...

My coworker has to be one of the strongest women I know. A few years ago, recently engaged and planning her wedding, her fiance (who's in the Army) is called to go overseas. They decided to go ahead and get married and so before he left, they were official. No, this story is not headed there....he was fine and has been back for a while. In fact, they even renewed their vows in October and had the wedding they meant to have the first time around.

What gives me pause tonight is he is going back. Tomorrow I think. And she just walked out of here with a smile on her face. I've been whining about how I'm tired from my Wii Fit workouts, my child is going through his Terrible Two's and thinks diapers are optional attire and her husband is headed back. Now, don't get me wrong it's not like she's walking around singing or anything but she's functioning and she's functioning with a smile on her face. Her husband is headed out to serve our country again, to make sure we keep the freedoms we all enjoy (like free speech to write what we think on blogs like this) and she's not bitter. She's not angry. She might be sad and frustrated sometimes (it bleeds through sometimes at work) but she's just incredible.

Do me a favor this weekend, go find a veteran and hug them. And if you can't hug them in person, hug them with your words. My turn: Dad, you rock. I love you. I love what you've done for us and this country. Thank you. Thank you SO much.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you!

Dad

4:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home