Sunday, March 09, 2008

Something new everyday

So, as new parents it's pretty obvious that Mr. S and I don't really know what we're doing here. We've talked a lot about how we want to raise our child(ren), plans that stem from our own upbringings. But I'm realizing that everything we've talked about really deals more with older children...not babies. So until we reach that point of being able to apply our much talked of ideals we're pretty much fumbling through there.

Given that we don't really know much, you'd think that I would read up more about babies and parenting... but I don't. First, and perhaps the biggest reason is that I simply don't have the time or energy. I work full-time and still have so much more to do at home that by the time Gavin's in bed, I'm wiped. I also prefer to talk with other moms, Gavin's day care provider and his pediatrician. Mr. S and I also like to have Gavin "tell" us when he's ready for a new phase in his young life. Case in point: his crib.

A few weeks ago I removed the bumper from his crib after he'd begun to repeatedly pull it down to see more of his room. The last straw came when I discovered he was chewing on it. Today though offered more crib adventures for us. Mr. S and I were in the living room reading the Sunday paper when we heard quite the thud from upstairs (Gavin was supposed to be napping). I froze, waiting for the cries I was sure would come. Mr. S immediately ran upstairs. I didn't hear any crying so I knew all was well but I was perplexed when Mr. S came in laughing and holding our hard-headed son. Gavin had somehow gotten a hold of a piece of his mobile and pulled it down on top of himself, banging his head in the corner of his crib in the process. When Mr. S got to his room, Gavin was holding one of his mobile characters (Tigger) and just looking around the room. Apparently it was time to take down the mobile! And since Gavin's been getting quite good and crawling (and better at pulling himself up on things than I guess we had realized) we decided it would be a good idea to lower his crib mattress as well.

It's a little sad though now. A few months ago his crib was this adorable, plush place for a little baby to sleep. Now it's been stripped of those extras, leaving just the dust ruffle, mattress and, his blankets and characters (big Pooh Bear and big Eeyore stay in his crib now for when he can't sleep and Mommy and Daddy don't want him to cry out of boredom; Pooh rattle blanket is sacred and guards his crib. Pooh blanket must ALWAYS be present at sleep times and NEVER get lost among the other blankets or much crying ensues). My baby boy is growing up!

I'll sign off though before I get too cliche. ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home