A call or a hope?
In church today I learned that there is no Youth Leader currently. My first reaction was disappointment. My second, third and fourth reactions were growing bits of frustration and feistiness.
I grew up in churches that, thankfully, had really strong programs for children. Every year from first to sixth grade I participated in Kids' Praise musicals, VBS, Awanas and various other programs to get children learning about and praising God. I'm still learning about this church and it seems that they have a good children's program but their youth are hurting for some organization and guidance.
In high school we joined a church that did officially have a youth group and leader however there was little to no learning about and worshipping God. It basically was a weekly kickball party (or indoor dodgeball when the weather was cold). At first I loved the activity but soon grew tired of games being the only reason to meet. I found a church about 45 minutes from my house that had this INCREDIBLE Tuesday night Youth Program that was just....wow. Wow wow wow. So I lead a contingent of others every Tuesday to attend this group. I also pushed for the group at our church to go to a youth conference in 1997 and 2000 (DC/LA 97 and DC/LA 2000). These conferences had a particular impact on me.
It's always bothered me (and I use the term "bothered" much too politely here) to be a part of churches that do not take their youth seriously. Who do they expect will be leading the church in 5 years?? 10 years???? How can a church expect to have adults volunteer and become active in the congregation if they never learned how to as teenagers and young adults?
So, it's now on my heart to consider volunteering as Youth Leader; even though I did not grow up Lutheran and am still learning about the traditions, etc myself. This would be a HUGE undertaking and one I will not rush into. I need to pray about this, talk with people at church and learn about what's going on. I know that if I can help organize the youth and show them that they DO have a place and this is THEIR CHURCH TOO then I will have fulfilled something. I will have given them something that I wanted so badly as a teen and am not sure I gt exactly what I was looking for.
I need to find out if God has laid this on my heart to do or if I'm emotionally responding to some issues I haven't completely laid to rest from my own teen years. Time will tell...

3 Comments:
god told me to tell you: go for it.
would your husband be interested in doing it with you as a team? Our church did this for a while.
I completely agree. Besides being felt force fed in church as a youth, it wasn't very welcoming into the fact that "youth are the future" so they need time too.
I always felt like an outcast trying to fit in... something I think as a youth you should never have to feel about church.
SIL
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home